Coastal and freshwater ecosystems are deteriorating in many areas and at a faster rate than any other ecosystem. Such changes are caused by intertwined factors, making it difficult to identify the problems early on. While progress in integrating these various factors in managing water and ecosystems has been made in some places, the majority of the world and its inhabitants increasingly suffers from a lack of priority given to environmental protection.Resource Type: Reports
UNEP-WCMC provides a range of services to the European Commission in support of effective implementation of the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations.Resource Type: Tools / Applications
These posters display the growing depth of the collaboration between UNEP-WCMC and the CITES Secretariat from 1979 to 2004.Resource Type: Posters
This poster series was designed in 2003 to highlight some key work areas of UNEP-WCMC, including:
1. About UNEP-WCMC
2. Biodiversity Information Services
3. Assessment and Early Warning
4. Conventions and Policy Support
5. The UNEP Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities
6. World Atlas of Biodiversity
Species+ is a website that provides information on the current listing of species in the multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs), together with their taxonomy, distribution and common names, as well as the trade restrictions that affect them.
Species+ is a new and improved version of three existing databases: the UNEP-WCMC Species Database, the CITES Species Database, and the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations Database.
Resource Type: Tools / Applications
This poster series was created to show some of the many topics UNEP-WCMC is involved with in relation to the Convention on Biological Diversity, including the following:
1. Achieving multiple benefits through a UNFCCC mechanism on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation
2. A Global Network of Protected Areas: On target for 2010 and 2012?
3. Protecting the Future: Carbon, forests, protected areas and local livelihoods
4. Progress towards the 30% Management Effectiveness target
5. Mapping the World's Protected Areas: the role of the WDPA
6. Forest Certification: How do Latin American standards address biodiversity?
7. Restoration of tropical dry forests
Resource Type: Posters
This report documents and analyses good practice examples of ecosystem-based approaches to climate change mitigation and adaptation in Europe. Case studies on ecosystem-based approaches to mitigation involved peatland restoration or conservation (11 projects) and forest conservation, restoration and reforestation (2 projects). Case studies on ecosystem-based approaches to adaptation were divided into inland waters (28 projects), coastal zone (10 projects), agriculture and forestry (11 projects) and cities (9 projects).Resource Type: Reports
UNEP-WCMC has been providing technical support to the work of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) on biodiversity and climate change. We carried out three reviews of the recent scientific literature and these fed into the deliberations of the CBD’s Second Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group (AHTEG) on Biodiversity and Climate Change. These reviews, entitled Links between Biodiversity and Climate change: Impacts, Adaptation and Mitigation, have now been published as no 42 of the CBD Technical Series. This publication complements the main report from the CBD AHTEG which appears as CBD Technical Series No. 41 Connecting Biodiversity and Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation.Resource Type: Reports
©2013 UNEP All rights reserved