Protected Planet is a new initiative to showcase the world's protected areas and is the most complete global dataset on terrestrial and marine protected areas. The initiative puts digital information about national parks and protected areas at the fingertips of global internet users, with the 'citizen science’ approach enabling anyone to edit and contribute to protected areas information.Resource Type: Spatial Data / Maps
This poster series was designed in 2003 to highlight some key work areas of UNEP-WCMC, including:
1. About UNEP-WCMC
2. Biodiversity Information Services
3. Assessment and Early Warning
4. Conventions and Policy Support
5. The UNEP Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities
6. World Atlas of Biodiversity
This poster series was created to show some of the many topics UNEP-WCMC is involved with in relation to the Convention on Biological Diversity, including the following:
1. Achieving multiple benefits through a UNFCCC mechanism on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation
2. A Global Network of Protected Areas: On target for 2010 and 2012?
3. Protecting the Future: Carbon, forests, protected areas and local livelihoods
4. Progress towards the 30% Management Effectiveness target
5. Mapping the World's Protected Areas: the role of the WDPA
6. Forest Certification: How do Latin American standards address biodiversity?
7. Restoration of tropical dry forests
Resource Type: Posters
The World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA) is the most comprehensive global spatial dataset on terrestrial and marine protected areas. Protected areas are internationally recognised as major tools in conserving species and ecosystems, and up to date information on protected areas is essential to fully enable conservation and development activities.Resource Type: Spatial Data / Maps
Access to UNEP-WCMC datasets is provided on the understanding that you read and consent to be bound by the Terms and Conditions attached. For the purposes of this Agreement the “Data” comprise any of the spatial data and associated attribute data downloadable from the UNEP-WCMC website, excluding the World Database on Protected Areas.
This dataset was created show the original habitat types as they were before man's influence in the Indo-Malayan realm; change over time can be seen when used alongside the remaining natural habitats dataset. These datasets were produced alongside the publication "Protected Areas Systems Review of the Indo-Malayan Realm, Mackinnon, J. ed. 1997" in collaboration with The Asian Bureau for Conservation (ABC). This was produced to document the growth and changing character of the protected areas systems of the region over the ten year period 1986-1996. This was in the hope of aiding conservationists and development practioners to conserve Asia's rich biological resources upon which so many depend.Resource Type: Spatial Data / Maps
©2013 UNEP All rights reserved