At UNEP-WCMC we develop and share data and knowledge-based tools to help decision makers understand how they depend and impact upon biodiversity. We work actively with them to ensure that they can – and do – use these tools effectively. We help people to explicitly account for the value of biodiversity in policy- and decision-making for development and the environment. In dozens of projects every year we work with our partners to strengthen the foundations of good environmental management in the following ways. We:
- help develop a comprehensive knowledge base
- support assessments and valuations of biodiversity and ecosystem services
- build tools and develop methodologies for understanding the environment
- provide support to develop policies and institutions to drive change
- share skills and competencies to do all of these things better.
Our growing team comprises more than a hundred experts in the biodiversity and ecosystem services of marine, freshwater and terrestrial environments, together with social scientists, ecological modellers, economists, lawyers, GIS specialists, policy analysts and programmers. As a team we specialize in measuring and identifying the causes of biodiversity change, mapping biodiversity hotspots and priorities, valuing ecosystem services, and evaluating the implications for biodiversity of different land and ocean management options.